Five Ways CDC Protects the Health of U.S. Businesses
American businesses face complex health challenges ranging from the threat of an influenza pandemic that could cost the U.S. economy $100 to $250 billion, to global health threats like the Zika virus and natural disasters that cost lives and cause economic disruption. The Centers for Disease Control and Prevention’s (CDC) efforts to keep America safe, healthy and secure are critical to a healthy workforce and economy.
Business Pulse: 5 Ways CDC Protects the Health of Your Business, launched today by the CDC Foundation, provides employers with useful tools, guidance and resources in five key areas that protect business health, including emergency preparedness, food safety, travelers’ health, global health security and flu prevention.
“CDC’s laser focus is protecting the health, safety and security of Americans,” said CDC Principal Deputy Director Dr. Anne Schuchat. “U.S. employers rely on CDC scientists and health experts for guidance and solutions that can protect and improve workers’ health. Healthier workers can lead to more productivity and a stronger economy.”
Five ways CDC helps businesses:
- Rapidly deploys disease detectives, life-saving vaccines and medicines and other support during a health emergency that could disrupt business continuity.
- Provides comprehensive travelers’ health information and advice to help protect U.S. citizens and businesses from diseases and other health risks abroad.
- Advances the Global Health Security Agenda to accelerate progress toward a world safe from disease threats.
- Protects America’s businesses, employees and their families by partnering with others to investigate foodborne outbreaks and improve food safety.
- Provides businesses with flu-fighting strategies and resources to help prevent flu in the workplace.
This issue of Business Pulse highlights these challenges, as well as CDC solutions, and includes advice from CDC experts. Business Pulse: 5 Ways CDC Protects the Health of Your Business also features an interactive infographic that provides useful facts and links that help employers protect and promote the health of all workers, along with online CDC resources.
Business Pulse: 5 Ways CDC Protects the Health of Your Business is the 10th in a series of quarterly business features created by the CDC Foundation, an independent nonprofit organization. Support for this issue of Business Pulse is provided by The California Endowment. Other Business Pulse topics to date include business continuity, safe healthcare, global health security, travelers’ health, flu prevention, healthy workforce, heart health, food safety and workplace safety and health.